Thursday, January 18, 2007

Poetry of War and Peace


I had these eleven poems in a folder for 4 years. I am hoping to share them with all the mothers out there who have children in war. They were inspired by letters of Israelis soldiers to their mothers during the invasion and occupation of Lebanon 1982-2000.

The countries, soldiers, and wars may be different, but the stories and agony are the same.

Marilyn.


Eleven Poems

By Ada Aharoni

Inspired from Letters of Israeli Soldiers

While in Lebanon

Copyright: Ada Aharoni - Haifa, May 2001.

Not Returning Home I'm

I'm so sorry, my love,
I'm not returning home
for I can't return home
I love you so,
want to be with you so,
but somewhere there -
among Lebanon's majestic cedars
so far from you my love -
I was hit by a murderous bullet
in the very center of
the fallow of my heart
where I first fell for you -
and fell forever.
I so want to be with you my love,
so want to hug you
my love, my life -
but cannot return home.
They have uselessly, pitifully,
spilled my young life, my blood,
under Lebanon's blue sky,
and now I cannot,
just cannot
return home.


The Hell With War


They announced a cease - fire
But we continued to bomb
The Beyrut Airport
And the streets and the houses,
What is it with us?

I loathe killing, I hate destroying,
Horrible, pitiful war!
Why should we allow them
To force us to be here?
And what hence?
And when will it end?
The Hell with War!

Mr. Prime Minister When Will The Nighmare End?


Mr. Prime Minister, when will the nightmare end?
What absolute misery -
I want to go home!
Instead of home's warmth -
anguished cold in my frozen bones
while watching the dreadful shock of a man
who has just discovered his dead wife's body
under his wrecked home ...


We came back from the nightmare
with horror in our hearts and imploring in our eyes -
Mr. Prime Minister, we were born
for creation, for joy and life - not for destruction!
Please, Mr. Prime Minister, end this nightmare that really kills -
and not only in nightmares.

Safety Is A Siamese Twin

For our safety
we will break their teeth,
for our safety
we will throw tons of bombs
on their heads and on their safety,
on their orchards
and on their vines,
on their houses and on their pride -
all this only for our safety.

But where is our safety?
And what about their safety?
In truth, our safety and their safety
Are Siamese Twins -
In reality, you can't hit one
without the other.

The Lie That Exploded

That night that big lie exploded
in my heart and in my mind
shattering all my limbs and all my values.
The big lie that violence can stop conflicts
exploded in the very depth of my heart together with the bombs -
And that explosive night my dreams exploded
With the lie.

When We Will Go Back Home

When we will go back home
They will not trick us anymore,
When we will return home
We will show them
What peace is
When we will go back home
We will hug our joyful wives and children,
And we will try to forget the sadness
In the eyes of their wives and children,
We will try, we will try very hard -
But I know we will never
Forget.

Bach In Beyrut

A moment of harmony in Beyrut -
We suddenly heard from one of the houses
Bach music beautifully played -
The whole company stopped
To hear the music.
The pianist played beautifully
And the whole company stopped and
listened to the exquisite harmony.
The bombs did not succeed to stop us -
but a sixteen year old girl
Playing Bach music -
Stopped us!

Amputated Hand

A young boy runs to me
and asks for a sweet,
he spreads his amputated arm
without a hand -
"Who did that to you?"
I ask aghast,
"Entum!" - "You!"
he answers timidly -
his apologetic bashfulness strangles
my shocked shame.

Fear From A Mosquito

We are forced to be policemen
of a population that hates us -
conflicts between Moslems, Christians and Druze,
thorny, entangled conflicts among them -
yet they all agree on one thing -
they all hate us!
We have entered a muddy morass
in which we are drowning -
Oh God! What a mess!
And in the end
we only found a mosquito -
but its bite kills,
and we shouldn't be here!
Oh God! What a mess,
Four Mothers, please save us.

A Mother's Letter

You will not build a nest
dear Gili,
every night you return to me,
and your silent cries
silence my heart,
"Mother, mother, help me!"
And I cannot
I can only caress the rugged stone
over your bones,
as I used to caress your soft curls
before sleeping ...

Leaving Lebanon In Peace

Can be sung to the music of "Let My People Go!"

When soldier sons were in Lebanon Land,
Let the soldiers go!
They suffered so much they could not stand,
Let the Soldiers go!
Go up Mothers, liberate your soldier sons,
Biblical Revka, Sarah, Leah, Rachel -
Let our sons go!
The soldiers under the cedar trees
Heard the four mothers in joy -
Leave Lebanon, Leave Lebanon
Leave Lebanon in Peace,
They sang and laughed in joy -
Go home soldiers,
Go home to Israel Land
And leave, and leave

Leave Lebanon in Peace!

Copyright: Ada Aharoni - Haifa, 2001

No comments: